Sunday, January 31, 2016

Distract Me!

Lately I feel the need for escapism.  There is (once again) uncertainty about the future of my job, and, because it's a family business, about my parents' well-being.  The stakes are high, and I don't have much, if any, influence on how things will turn out.  Therefore, the more time I can spend with my attention on pleasant diversions, the better for my sanity.

Fortunately, I am reading a delightful and engrossing 1200 page novel (actually a trilogy of books bound together under one cover) called The Josephine Bonaparte Collection.  It's historically accurate enough that I can assuage my need to feel productive when I read (I'm learning things!), the characters feel like friends and family to me, and the plot is gripping.  I would recommend it to almost anyone.

(My bookmark is currently resting on page 769.)

There's nothing like a good historical novel to remind one to put a #FirstWorldProblems tag on most of one's own worries.  How many things does this book make me feel grateful for?  Modern dentistry, motor cars, democracy, the fact that "bleeding" a patient is no longer considered a valid cure for any disease other than hemochromatosis... I could go on.

The movie Far From the Madding Crowd was on TV, so I gave it a chance to divert me for two hours.  I watched the whole thing, but in the end I agree with this reviewer, who stated that Carrie Mulligan's wardrobe was the most engaging aspect of the movie.  It was silly, soapy, and melodramatic, but I did enjoy viewing all of Bathsheba's frocks.

Next on my list of reliable cheerer-uppers is Imgur, a website that offers a constantly changing stream of cute/funny/awesome images.  Like this.  And this.  Sometimes the image itself is nothing to write home about, but the comments are comedy gold.  Warning: some content may be offensive to some viewers.

As always, the highlight of my week was Game Night.  This week was outstanding because our hostess cooked a Burns Supper in honour of Robbie Burns Day.  The haggis not piped in, however it was done up properly with 'neeps and tatties (no, autocorrect, not with needs and tattoos), and everything was yummy.

What have you been doing to keep the February blahs at bay?

10 comments:

DarcKnyt said...

I'm sorry things are tough at work, Spark. I know how much pressure that can put on one at home as well. If it was a family-run business to boot, that would be double difficulty and stress. I feel for you, and will continue to lift you up in prayer.

Game night. *Sigh* Sounds so cool. :) I've got to give that Pandemic a try. :)

Jenny Woolf said...

Feeling assailed on all sides with stuff you can't do anything about - it's pretty bad. I have been there and sympathise with the need for escapism. I sometimes look out acclaimed TV series that I have missed, and catch up on them all. Like with a good book, you can enter in to the world of the characters and if it is a good series, it gives you some ideas to think about too. Personally I also find that gardening can be absorbing, you can turn ideas over in your head but somehow they don't seem to matter. I only ever celebrated Burns night once (with a Scottish friend) and it was good. I even found I quite enjoyed haggis!
I hope things look up soon.

LL Cool Joe said...

Sounds like the job situation is a nightmare, but I'm glad you have things to distract you, like the baby snowboarding. I was kinda hoping he/she would end up in a heap of snow crying. Geez, I'm cruel.

Granny Annie said...

I could spend all day on you blog post. Got started on the pictures and couldn't quit. Think I will remember to return here when I need cheering up.

Anonymous said...

February blahs. It's only the first day.

Hmmm... probably food and too much of it.

Abby said...

What am I doing? Reading your blog and clicking on all of the entertaining links, so far!

Jenski said...

My book club has been great because it means almost every month I read something for FUN?! Crazy. Also, highly recommend Mozart in the Jungle to any Amazon Prime people. A great funny, clever, romantic sitcom.

Ginny said...

I hope things get better at work. I hate when things are up in the air. It makes me anxious.

I wanted to shake Bathsheba during that movie. Open your eyes girl!

Snowbrush said...

I hope your efforts don’t become desperate because that might doom them to failure. I memorize poetry, seriously study the America of 100-150 years ago and watch old, old TV shows and movies. Isn’t it tiring simply to hold such a big book? I picture it as worse than reading the Britannica.

Vanessence7 said...

Oh goodness, sweetie, I'm sorry things are so stressful for you. :( I will be praying that things work out well for everyone, especially you.

Feb blahs? Hmm, let's see ... craft projects I guess, or organizing and cleaning projects. This is the time of year to move the fridge and oven and clean the floor under them - that sort of stuff. Not glam but it is a nice distraction and there's something satisfying about it when it's done. :)

*hugs*